Friday, September 25, 2009

The Journey Begins

As a teenager I always pictured the 35 year old me living somewhere in New York City. Wearing wonderful clothes that I couldn't afford, painting pictures that I knew someone would someday see the value in. After all, no artist expects to be appreciated in their own lifetime.

We'll I am quickly approaching my 35th birthday and my life could not be further from this one time goal. So the question is not, how did this California born and raised independent free spirit end up a housewife in the mountains of Eastern Oregon? But how have I fallen in love with this life?

I decided after 15 years of marriage and 7 years in exile (living 2 1/2 hours from the nearest mall or Target) to explore the life I live and why I love it.

Dilly Beans

Stuff Each Clean Jar with:
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 sliced clove of garlic
1 head of dill
1/4 jalapeno peeper
and as many cleaned fresh green beans as will fit

Brine:
2 cups water
2 cups vinegar
1/4 cup pickling salt

Boil brine and pour into stuffed jars leaving 1/8" head room. Process in hot water bath for 5 min. Beans will be ready to eat in 2-3 weeks.

1 comment:

  1. This brings tears to my eyes, Sun. A gentle and beautiful reminder not to long for a life that we hope to live but to embrace the life we are living. I am learning there is LIFE in every season...even our winters (no punn intended if you know what I mean). And sometimes, we begin to really love the snow! After all, it's the only time we can wear those fabulous faux-fur lined jackets and fantastic boots. But I digress... Thank you for the reminder. I love you!

    ReplyDelete